Sunday, July 5, 2009

Tell about a favorite vacation from your childhood.


When I think of vacations we went on as children I remember a lot of camping. Sometimes we would travel far for the camping trips and sometimes we would camp closer to home. I loved being outdoors with the family enjoying the time together. I enjoyed going to state or national parks and participating in the Junior Ranger programs. I remember one time when we were camping a racoon was determined to get the glass jar of dogfood in the middle of the night. I remember being scared but still curious and wanting to watch the whole thing...from the safety of the tent of course! I loved cooking and eating while camping. Food just always tasted better while we were camping. I also enjoyed playing games at the picnic tables and by the light of lanterns at night.

I also remember vacations to Utah to visit Grandma and Grandpa. I remember the long car rides through Nevada and mom saying they just needed to blow Nevada off the map and the drive would be so much better! Then, there was the infamous stop at the reststop in the Salt Flats...remember that one, Alanna! I remember trying to keep us entertained on the long drives. We didn't have movies to watch on the way like our kids do now. We would try to get truckers to honk. We would stick pretzels in our nose and ears and mouth and make faces at other cars as they drove by. We would make up silly songs. I remember stopping for lunch in Lovelock, Nevada and eating on that grassy slope next to the RR tracks. Lovelock was spelled out in rocks in the grass.


The times I remember most are not so much where we went but the time we spent together while we were going and being there. I think that is something I want to be sure to pass on to our children. The destination is not the important part...it is the time spent together without lots of other distractions that really matters.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Jen I do remember that time at the salt flats! Everytime I think about, drive through or hear about the salt flats that memory comes back. I thought I could trust my sister, but it was at that tiem that I realized I couldn't trust everything my sister told me. But, I would do it again for a quarter... :)

I was trying to remember the name of the program, Junior Rangers, that we would do when we went camping. I couldn't come up with the name so I left it out!

I stole some of the pictures to put on my blog since I didn't have any of those pictures on my computer. :)

Anonymous said...

OK, I want to know what I missed at the Salt Flats? I remember the times you kids did weird things so you could get a reaction out of people as they drove by. Mom

Matt and kim Cloward said...

Jen got Alanna to drink some of the water. I remember those times too. It was great.