Monday, August 10, 2009

Describe your yard as a child. Did you help with yard work? What are your memories?

Front Yard

I grew up on a quiet neighborhood street in Suisun, California. We lived on Coot Lane. Our front yard had planter boxes under the front window and some bushes on the walkway next to the front door. The front side yard had 2 tall and big trees. We would try to hide underneath them and played a lot of fun games there. I was also given a basketball hoop for Christmas one year. Grandpa Powell helped Dad set up the hoop so I could play. I remember playing on the driveway for hours. I actually killed a little patch of grass next to the driveway from practicing free throw shots. The backyard was large. It had some planter boxes along the perimeter. There was a big palm tree in the backyard as well. I remember one Christmas vacation (the same one that I got the basketball hoop) when it snowed. It looked so funny to see snow on the palm tree. Alanna, Brandon, and I would play football in the backyard complete with stuffing towels in our shirts and pants for pads. It was great fun. We also played baseball often in the front and back yards.

Back Yard

It was one of my jobs to mow the lawn each week. Kim and I would rotate responsibility for the front and back yard. I HATED mowing the lawn. I am not sure why because now, as an adult, I absolutely love mowing and edging our lawn. I do the majority of the yard work now. But, as a kid, I hated it. I knew I had to do it and I would try anything to get out of it. One week I convinced my mom that I would iron clothes for an hour if she would mow the lawn for me. I was amazed that she agreed and secretly thought I had pulled one over on her. That feeling didn't last long. I hadn't been ironing for 10 minutes when Mom came into the house already having finished mowing the lawn. I was not too happy for the next 50 minutes as I had to finish ironing clothes. I am grateful I was taught the importance of working hard and doing my part to help the family. It must have paid off to some extent because I love doing the yard work now!

Front Yard

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey! it was fun to read what you remember from CA! I also love that you have the pictures to go with it!