My Dad and Thomas...December 2000
I am blessed to have a wonderful father. He is the patriarch of our family and always honored the Priesthood he held. I hold dear the memories of Father's blessings given to us the night before the first day of school. He could calm anxieties and put my mind at ease with this act of service. I also remember him giving me and my family members blessings when we were sick and bringing the Spirit into our home. I vividly remember a special Father's Blessing he gave me the evening before I got married. I will always cherish the words he spoke and the love I felt from him that evening. How grateful I am that I was able to have this blessing before starting a new life as a wife. My dad has always been a faithful and diligent Home Teacher. I will forever be grateful for this example in my life. It didn't matter how busy the weeks and months would be, Dad always did his home teaching and was always prepared to share a message with the families he visited with. Dad magnified his callings in the church. He never wavered on this. Again, an example that has and continues to influence me in my life.
A particularly vivid memory I have of my dad is when he sat on the couch with me in the living room of our home a few days before I was to receive my endowment in the temple. He taught me from the scriptures and bore his testimony of the temple as he prepared me for this next step in my life. I remember attending the temple for the first time and feeling at peace and knowing it was the right place for me to be. I am grateful he helped prepare me for this step in my life.
Dad taught me to be frugal. I know we often tease him of how frugal he really is...wearing clothes to the point they are threadbare, reusing things over and over again. But I was taught to be wise with money and to live within my means. As a child growing up I didn't realize the impact or importance of these lessons. I have gained a greater understanding and appreciation for this as I moved out and lived on my own. Dad also helped instill in us a good work ethic. I will forever be grateful for this even though I can still hear the words, "Go mow the lawn!" and "Have you checked the fluid levels in the car yet?"
A particularly vivid memory I have of my dad is when he sat on the couch with me in the living room of our home a few days before I was to receive my endowment in the temple. He taught me from the scriptures and bore his testimony of the temple as he prepared me for this next step in my life. I remember attending the temple for the first time and feeling at peace and knowing it was the right place for me to be. I am grateful he helped prepare me for this step in my life.
Dad taught me to be frugal. I know we often tease him of how frugal he really is...wearing clothes to the point they are threadbare, reusing things over and over again. But I was taught to be wise with money and to live within my means. As a child growing up I didn't realize the impact or importance of these lessons. I have gained a greater understanding and appreciation for this as I moved out and lived on my own. Dad also helped instill in us a good work ethic. I will forever be grateful for this even though I can still hear the words, "Go mow the lawn!" and "Have you checked the fluid levels in the car yet?"
Dad, Joel holding Thomas, Grandpa Larry (Dad's Dad)...December 2000
Dad is a tease. He likes to tell jokes (and has a bunch written on little scrap pieces of paper that he keeps in his wallet). He is calm and it really takes quite a bit to get him upset. I don't remember many times growing up and hearing him yell at us. I knew when he was angry with us or disappointed in us but he usually got this point across without having to raise his voice with us.
Dad blessed our home growing up as he was willing to work on the family cars and do the necessary maintenance and repair. As I have grown up I have come to realize how difficult it must have been for him to come home and work on a broken down car after a long day at work knowing he would have to go back to work the next morning. He always did it though. He has blessed my family now by passing his knowledge on to Joel and being just a phone call away as Joel has questions and needs ideas as he is doing the same for our family.
Dad likes to shoot trap and do target shooting. He likes camping and hiking in the outdoors. He has served in various scouting responsibilities. He is patient and is a good teacher regardless of the material. He is persistent, diligent. I have always admired his desire and dedication to studying the scriptures, his Sunday School and Priesthood lessons, and writing in his journal.
I am so grateful for my dad. I am grateful for his example and his love.


1 comment:
I love how you worded everything! You are so good at putting your thoughts down in words! We truly are blessed to have such a great dad!!!
Post a Comment